Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Call me... "Anthony Greendown"


So as I said, last Friday, I went to the Roots pre-show and caught Santogold, Janelle Monae, The Randy Watson Experience, and The Roots. I feel no need to discuss The Roots cuz... they're The Roots. Performing live is what they do. Randy Watson, true to their namesake, put on a good show. But for me, the only reason why I was pressed to go was to see Janelle Monae and Santi White.


After a few opening acts, including a very raucous group outta Sierra Leone that kilt it, Santi came out on stage decked in a gold tracksuit and a snapback cap. The set was decent, even if the white dude in front of me kept texting to someone how Santogold sucked and sounded like Europop on crack. (I'd have to say it was a very accurate description though--the Europop, not the sucking, hmm.) Still, her two backup singer/dancers stole the show though. These chicks were at attention like they were Minister Farrakhan's personal bodyguards until the music dropped, after which they danced durn-near out of their clothes. Let's just say I enjoyed watching them do their thing, more than Santogold. She brought out Spankrock for "Shove It" and closed the show out with the crowd-pleaser "Creator," which definitely rocked. It was a decent show, but I wouldn't pay to see Santi again unless it was at a very small venue. Her style fits the whole basement party vibe more than anything else.

Finally, the future Mrs. Garr stepped onstage. Let me say that I think a sizable portion of the audience came only to catch Ms Monae. Her street team was out in full force and I heard quite a few people mention how much they looked forward to her show, even though they knew none of her music. (Underground hype does wonders.) Her band was sparse: just a guitarist, drummer, and a DJ. The guitarist looked like Andre 3000 on "Hey Ya." Her set was short; honestly, she coulda stayed for 2 hours and I don't think any of us woulda been upset--you know I wouldn'ta. She's a little woman with a LOTTA energy. I was surprised to see her sing so well for all the dancing she did. She gave us a few tracks from Suite I of Metropolis along with a cover of "Smile."


By the time she got to "Sincerely, Jane" I concluded that she is the prototype.


Some might say that she is today's Erykah Badu. Her avant garde style, groundbreaking music, and stellar live performances, along with her eccentricity are reminiscent of the last great Nigga Killa. I'd like to think that Erykah was yesterday's Janelle Monae. In a few years, she'll be turning niggas out like Badu did to Common and 3000.

I'm at school so I uploaded this straight to blogger, but here's a clip of her covering the classic Charlie Chaplin song, "Smile." Shoutout to my brand new Canon SD1100 IS


Tonight I'm off to see Jamie Lidell and on Sunday, Adele, who just might be the sexiest fat white woman ever. Life is good.

2 comments:

Call Me... "Mr. Garr" said...

no, that was the Badu Effect. the Monae Effect would be much more space age. crochet pants are sooooo turn of the 2nd millenium.

Ron_Gs said...

so like, bow ties and j crew chukkas and velvet sport coats. lol

Monae is phuckn awesome!