Thursday, May 22, 2008

Google Me


New readers may not be aware of this, but my day job is teaching. The OG You Hype! Sike Nah... was less music and media and much more Middle School Blues. As a new teacher in a new city, I vented my frustrations here because I didn't have too many other friends outlets. But as time went on, teaching got better and I finally figured out how to keep a group of kids from the hood in check.

As my teacher swagger grew, its presence on the blog dwindled. I had more time to dedicate to my other interests, which, primarily, would be music. I often go back and read some of my own frustrated rants and humorous-in-retrospect accounts of life. Turns out, my former students do too.

Yesterday we took a field trip to the zoo. It was fun. For one, I love zoos. I'm a nature nerd to begin with, but I find them relaxing places to be. And as long as a kid doesn't try to stuff a penguin in his bookbag and take it home, it's a great break from the day-to-day routine.

On my way out the zoo, I ran into one of my former students. He was by far the smartest kid in my class last year, but he was an overall asshole who didn't do anything, so he was wasting his potential. "Mr. Garr!" he said and extended his hand. I shook it, prepared to chokeslam him if necessary.

Fortunately, I did not have to. He'd started going to a new school after suffering a family tragedy, but told me proudly, "I do my work now." I was happy for him, and he seemed happy. In retrospect, my overall ineptitude as a first-year teacher prevented me from really understanding the kid and helping him. I'm just glad I didn't cause irreparable damage.

As he walked with me to the exit, he let me know, "Oh, I read what you said about me in your blog." Now a more seasoned teacher, I masked my shock easily and brushed it off with "I have no idea what you're talking about." He of course, didn't buy it, but knew that was how the game had to be played. He grinned that same grin that only exaggerated his lopsided head shape.

"What is this blog thing you're talking about?" I asked.

"I googled my name," he said, still grinning.

Note to self: go back and remove all student names from the blog. These lil niggas is crafty sons of hoodrats. He's not the first student to tell me they happened upon the blog after googling their name.

"Well, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm happy to hear you're doing work." We had some other small talk, gave him a couple other former-teacher accolades and went our separate way.

"Bye, Mr. Garr. It was good seeing you," as he jogged back to where his classmates were. His final words struck me in their authenticity, void of the bitter sarcasm that littered our interactions the previous year. He meant it, and to be real, the feeling was mutual.

6 comments:

Author said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Author said...

crafty sons of hoodrats! lmao! btw, i'm in your area this summer greezy. i'm finna hit DC this weekend. any suggestions?

The Paxtons said...

if you aint 21 yet rel, i dont know if we can be of much service

Author said...

Yea that's what I've been hearin. I ended up just chillin wit my peeps. Its cool tho. I did the tourist thing and saw all the historical stuff. Good lookin out anyway Dave.

Anonymous said...

hello i guess u know who this is and my head's not lopsided and Ill continue to follow your blogs b/c there acutally intresting (S.P)

Youngest MILF said...

This was really nice.