Thursday, April 09, 2009

"I believe in America."


Most people (especially most niggas) agree that The Godfather I and II are two of the greatest movies ever made. I had a friend back in high school who swore that II was better than I, but I could never get down with that one all the way. What do yall think? Both are outstanding movies with some of the best acting and directing ever put on the silver screen, but if you had to pick one, which would it be?

Personally, I pick 1. First reason is the cast: Marlon Brando, Jimmy Caan, Al Pacino, Abe Vigoda, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton... could you pick a stronger ensemble of actors? It would cost billions to get actors of that caliber to work together on a movie like that today. Marlon Brando worked for next to nothing and delivered one of the defining performances of his career. Then there's the actual screenplay, which deviated generously from the book, but in a way that made the movie stronger. And my #1 reason is Al Pacino. Watching Al Pacino as Michael Corleone transition from a goody-two-shoes, respectable war veteran into a ruthless kingpin is easily one of the strongest dramatic performances ever, no hyperbole. Anyone who has ever worked with drama has to appreciate the level of skill and restraint Pacino exhibited as an actor to embody the full persona of his character. I could go on, but I know yall aren't gonna read a 10-page thesis on the genius of The Godfather. Discuss.

2 comments:

Vic said...

I like the 1st one, but somehow the second one just does it for me. The whole Heiman Roth Saga and Family Betrayal story really got me interested, and all the references they made to how things really work in politics and beyond. The 2nd one was more a real world story, than about the story of a man who grew to be a kingpin. Plus the story of a young Vito Corleone with the interplay of the story of an up and coming Michael was pure brilliance. Not to mention Kay's (Diane Keaton) performance.

Although nothing could ever top the christening scene in the first movie. That was amazing.

and I am done.

Call Me... "Mr. Garr" said...

yeah, ur definitely right. that's why it's always a hard pick between 1 and 2. but fredo's b!tcha$sness and betrayal begins in 1. i think it's the personal story of michael corleone and that family dynamic that makes me pick the first jawn. it's so psychological, reminds me of Macbeth. And yes, the christening scene is probably the greatest piece of american cinemtography ever.

(i'm probably wrong about that last statement cuz i'm jus a regular movie-watchin ass nigga who acts like he's deep, but i don't care. if it ain't the best, it's pretty durn close.)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6568586375986045340
that organ is sinister as f-ck.