Monday, February 09, 2009
Finally. I've been sitting on this for about a month. I won't lie. This is probably the most depressing mix I've made. And it's old (as in ur folks might actually enjoy it). But like always, it's mood music. It's about mellow solitude. This one might be about loneliness.
It's a npr mix. It's dark, and it's sorrow, mid 1900's style. Civil rights sorrow. Jukebox joint in the swamps of Louisiana sorrow. Crickets at night sorrow. It's your party and everyone's left sorrow. Mad Men sorrow. Revolutionary Road sorrow. Recession sorrow. After Vol 3, everything had to change, but it's the same theme.
It's a winter mix: the leaves are dead, only ice hangs from the tree branches. (notice the tree, stop waiting for leaves). You're sitting at home because it's cold. It's night. You have leftovers and fresh hot tea. Windows shut, curtains pulled open. Streetlights reflecting off the snow and ice make the night brighter than normal. No need for lights, you light a candle. This candle, the one on the cover. and it lights the floorboard beneath and the wooden planks of the nearest wall. It's not a neat flame, but it's naturally flawed. It bends and the straightness of its smoke seems to be it's final attempt to reconcile that imperfection.
It's still winter (even if it broke 60 degrees yesterday), which means there are plenty cold nights ahead. Grab a blanket, turn off the lights, light a candle and push play, but keep it real.
Those of you expecting a repeat of Volume 3 have a bit of a curveball headed your way. There are enough ppl tryna imitate that jawn. Cover art was done by the homey Jeff, and yes, it's vertical on purpose. The tracklisting:
1. "Lilac Wine" - Jeff Buckley
2. "Overrated" - Gavin DeGraw
3. "When I Fall" - Lizz Wright
4. "Dreamworld" - Robin Thicke
5. "I (Who Have Nothing)" - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
6. "Highway 7" - K-Os
7. "In A Sentimental Mood" - Ledisi
8. "Charlene (acoustic)" - Anthony Hamilton
9. "Kick Out of You" - Dwele
10. "We're Still Friends" - Donny Hathaway
11. "Rope of Sand" - Jamie Lidell
12. "Little Person (ft. Deanne Storey)" - Jon Brion
13. "Little Girl Blue" - Diana Krall
14. "The Thrill is Gone" - Chet Baker
15. "Good Morning, Heartache" - Billie Holiday
16. "Wild is the Wind" - Nina Simone
17. "Make Sure You're Sure" - Stevie Wonder
Enjoy. And be sure to leave comments here. I know a lotta yall hit me in my personal inbox and on facebook, but blog comments are easier to check from school.