Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wale on Ice, Pt. 2

Its official like stripes and whistles. The Washington Post DC Sports Blog conducted this interview, shortly following the Wale Ovechkin hubbub on two of the internets...

Which brings us to Wale, the D.C.-born go-go-fueled rapper who in recent weeks dropped some puck into his latest track, "Back in the Go Go" like so:

Yeah - Still high two stepping it; Do it for the capital, Wale Ovechkin
Wale Ovechkin? What in the name of Pollin is that all about?

"It's a double meaning: capital is money and the Capital is Washington D.C.," Wale said during a brief telephone conversation this afternoon. "I mean, I mentioned Olaf Kolzig before, but the song never made it out....It was kind of like the same thing: 'Olaf Kolzig, my goal is capital.'...A lot of rappers mention sports a lot, but it's mostly basketball. Mines are a little bit more obscure. I guess my brain works a little differently, I don't know. I don't hear too many of those [hockey references]. It is what it is. It's just part of rap, just staying relevant with things that are going on."

So he's a Caps fan?

"Never even been to a Capitals game; watch 'em on TV every once in a while," Wale said. "I'd root for them when I watch because it's D.C. I root for every local team, definitely root for them. And it doesn't hurt that we have the best player in hockey, it don't hurt."

I don't know whether Stephen Malkmus has previously praised D.C. athletes, but Wale has, of course, made liberal use of D.C. sports references throughout his career, from Freddy Adu to John Gilchrist ("Home of the Terrapins, beware of the Gilchrist"), from Sean Taylor to Clinton Portis to a Redskins rap penned for Comcast SportsNet, from Gilbert Arenas to the Hoyas. ("The home of Marvin Gaye; That's all I gotta say; Yeah, Iverson was cool; but I supported Victor Page.")

"I just write," he said, when asked how he decides which local athletes to mix into his verse. "It's not like you say, 'I'm gonna mention four players [now],' you know what I mean? It's just whatever I'm thinking about at the time. You're just writing a song, and whatever comes out, you don't really plan it."

His checklist now includes players from the Caps, the Wizards, the Redskins, D.C. United, Maryland and Georgetown, but no Nats. Does this cultural moment not extend to Half Street?

"I wear a Washington Nationals hat every day," Wale offered. "I'm wearing one right now, actually."

I dunno, Lupe showed love to lupethefiasco.blogspot.com on Go Baby, maybe we'll get an obscure reference somewhere in there. In the meanwhile... how did I miss this tee!?!?


I feel like nary a single one of the 50 bammas that bumrushed me to goodbully ever waited for six wings with mambo sauce at Lenny's Carryout on MD-202 & 75th at 2am while perusing the latest selection of black-on-black Nike Boots & North Faces out of DeMarcus' trunk. Pardon the hate.

No comments: