Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fear of a Black Planet


Every time I look at this pic I think, "they neva shoulda gave you niggas money!"

Golden shower jokes aside, this is a really disturbing image. Perhaps bleach blonde hair on black men never made you uncomfortable in the past (a la Sisqo, B-More stand up!), but this ol' Helga lookin-ass-nigga simply makes me fear for the progress of our people and my unborn daughter that may someday walk the halls of Kenwood Academy. I guess the more exposure to the world and creative outlets we receive, the more eccentric we may become until we completely lose our ability to put the "b" in suBtle. Which brings me to this...


I know what you're thinking... "Kelz could have really benefited from one of those", but I was actually pondering, "I pray this wasn't one of those 'last page of xxl magazine' joints". It isnt. In fact black folks don't have a damn thing to do with it. According to designergasmasks.com (yes, they have a website) its art for art's sake...

"We are in a state of perpetual war – with ourselves and with the eco-system that sustains us. Perpetual war breeds perpetual fear. In the present context, this fear stems from our extreme desire for authenticity and manifests itself in our collectively insatiable culture of consumption.

Deep down, we are afraid we may never be satisfied. An expanding archive of branded myths and icons feeds this fear. Designer Gas Masks is an attempt to visualize this state of mind. Because it is only by first acknowledging and then challenging fear that we will all be able to breathe a little easier."


Further evidence that I should have no problem making my first million by 35. Good night.

No comments: