Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Let man's soul be a sphere

So I decided to buy a book the other day. The decision was a long way in the making, seeing as I had at some point over the Summer realized that reading was, indeed, fundamental. Checking out books from the library was cool, only thing is it gets frustrating cuz you can't (/not supposed to) write in a library book. So I came to the conclusion that I would actually have to take sneaker money and put it towards something more erudite.

Seeing as this is my first true foray into leisure reading for a very long time, I figured I should ease myself into the practice. A book of poems would be best, by someone I could count on for quality writing. The result: Riding Westward by Wash U prof Carl Phillips.

I won't say much about what I've read so far other than it's vicious. And intense. Yeah, that's it. No reviews here. I haven't even finished reading the thing. But can I shout out the cover art on this one? Is that alone not reason enough to buy the book? Well, if that isn't enough for you vultures, I guess I'll give y'all an excerpt.

P.S. I will pay 1,000 Zambian Kwacha to whoever knows where Phillips got the title for his book. (Without using the internet) I'll even pay it in US dollars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Donne? I'm a college dropout...so like what do I know, but I figure I might as well give it a try.

Call Me... "Mr. Garr" said...

i see u C! ha. hope u didn't use the internet. If i ever see u again in life, remind me that i owe u a quarter.

Anonymous said...

but you said real dollars!!! i got kids to feed!