Sunday, December 16, 2007

Signs, Cosigns, and Tangents

I got into a tepid debate with ma dukes today over the phone. She was upset to learn that I had called my sister a "nigga," and even more upset that I had no problem with it. I didn't, nor have I ever, really had a problem with the word nigga. I don't just like the word, I love it. I think it's a great word. I won't get into the semantics of the nigger vs. nigga argument simply because I think it's dumb--fuji and macintosh apples all look the same to me.

I think when it comes down to it, people today decide to wage wars against the wrong things. We fight the symbols of inequity instead of actually raging against the machine. We get Don Imus fired and hold Congressional hearings on rap, but don't open more libraries in the hood, replace the crumbling infrastructure of the nation's cities, or pass and enforce legislation that restricts gun usage. People today are scared to take risks. In an age where you are held accountable more for your miscues than your straight shots, no one wants to step out the boat and walk on water for fear that Jesus won't be there to pull them up if they lose faith and sink. So instead, we've convinced ourselves that protest is as easy as a $25 limited edition t-shirt with some esoteric slogan screenprinted fashionably across the front. We've convinced ourselves that we can make a fashion statement and save the world. Martin and Mahatma had it all effed up son.

A month or so ago, I watched an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher featuring Presidential hopeful John Edwards. I haven't spoken much about the whole political scene mostly out of disinterest, but also out of lack of information, but that night I became a supporter of John Edwards. I had never bought into the whole Obama thing cuz the nigga never said anything about his ideas about how he was gonna lead the country. He spoke in abstract terms of "hope" and other Hallmark-worthy things. He's also supported by Oprah, who I detest. Hilary seems like she's too entrenched into the fabric of bureaucratic malaise in our government to do anything to change it substantively. Voting for her would be like giving me a dirty rag to take a shower with. More importantly, neither of them have truly inspired me.

However, while watching Edwards talk casually to Maher about his ideas (yes, ideas!), he made me a fan with one word: sacrifice.

He admitted simply that as President, he would ask the country to sacrifice for their own good. He spoke with integrity and passion, as a captain leading an army: admitting that there may be loss, but that it would all be for a greater gain. American politicians speak directly to our guts, our insatiable need to consume and fill our bellies. They appeal to our selfishness, individually and collectively, and are afraid to take the risk to call us to become a greater people, to "ask not what our country can do for us, but what we can do for our country."

It was shocking to hear a politician call upon voters to sacrifice, to admit that taxes might be raised. But it was refreshing. It stuck with me because it reminded me that some people want to be President because they are interested in improving the nation, not living in the White House. There are those who want to rehabilitate and revitalize the Oval Office, not just change the curtains and vacuum the carpet.

I've gone on an unintended tangent. Back to the lecture at hand...

Words derive their meaning from connotation; language is inherently implicit. Were it explicit, babies would never be able to discern enough to learn how to speak. We know what someone means not so much by what they say but by how they say it. It is from this stance that I approach the usage of the word "nigga". I say it how I mean it, which means I mean what I say. 8-)

Unfortunately, there are those who believe that certain words are magical and their denoted meanings are powerful beyond measure, destructive to the point where they can break down the very being and identity of an individual. Their context is always moot and, in fact, if you attempt to use it outside of its denoted context, your misuse of the word wields that destructive force with no less ferocity on the unassuming subject. Some would argue that, perhaps, it is even more deleterious to use it outside of its already pernicious denotation.

To those people I say: "Nigga, please."

"The Meaning of a Word" by Gloria Naylor

P.S. Imus got his job back and rappers still say "bitch," "nigga," and "ho."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the post.
very insightful.
NIGGA.