Saturday, March 22, 2008

The lady doth protest too much, methinks


Allow me to say that if these two men aren't running our country this time next year, I'll be extremely sad and disheartened about America. Hilary, who I once supported after Edwards dropped out, has single-handedly made it possible for John McCain to be elected President. Before her last-ditch smut campaign against Obama, both she and Barack were ahead in the polls against McCain. Since then, Obama's losing and Hilary is neck and neck. Good job, b!tch.

Add to that that the "Obama-bashing" has reached cruise control and I'm not sure if I'll even vote if I have to choose between Hilary Clinton and John McCain. Even Fox News's own people are saying enough is enough. I mean shoot, it's gotta be time to reel it back in if a Klansman tells another Klansman, "I think we're going too far Billy Bobby."

Over at NBC, Keith Olberman gave an unprecedented "get ur act together" speech to Hilary Clinton. What I think is beautiful about this campaign is that it's forcing everyone out of their comfort zones, the not-so-tidy cubbyholes we live in and forcing us to reexamine everything. If nothing else, Obama has accomplished the feat of bringing America down off its high horse and put a mirror in front of it, but not for derision's sake, but rather to inspire all of us to actually make the American dream more of a reality for everyone.

Even I, the perennial cynic that I most often am, felt like the Democratic race was the best-run campaign of my lifetime, because it presented voters with real options minus the minutia of highly politicized prattle about stuff we shouldn't care about. Candidates talked about the issues like adults and then left it up to the voters to decide. It was gentlemenly (and gentlewomanly) that, in the end, we were all thinking that it was already set in stone that Barack and Hilary would be on the same ticket and coast to an easy victory in November. I had personally hoped for a Clinton/Obama ticket with Hilary as head honcho (pun not intended) because she has great ideas and a wealth of experience and connection to actually make those ideas a reality and Obama cuz I felt like he could hold down the #2, cut his teeth, and after Hilary leaves, be the greatest President since FDR, Lincoln, or maybe ever in the history of the whole world, ya dig?

But now, it's back to the tried and true bulldiddy of American politics. My homey Shakespeare said it best:
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

America is in a tempest of its own making right now. But come November, at storm's end, I hope the two up top are at that ship's helm.

Cot durn, this post wasn't even sposed to be this long.

No comments: