Friday, March 07, 2008

Feeling Mellow Like a Cello


Life is good. Last night, I had the privilege of seeing Alice Smith live at the Tin Angel. (Remember her?) It was a great show. The crowd was live and Alice did her thug thizzle. The girl has a powerful voice. She also has a remarkably approachable stage presence. During a song, she's in her own world. Her face contorts, her body emotes every note-wrapped lyric. It's like pulling back bark to get the sap. But as soon as the song ends, she smiles this huge smile, tugs at her jeans, and looks at the crowd as though she's surprised to see that people actually paid to hear her. The humility was refreshing.

That doesn't mean she lacked confidence though. It was her stage and she held it down with her bantam band, (of which the lead guitarist seemed a crowd fave. smirk). Ol' girl is real tall though. Much taller than I'd thought. I think 5'10" is on the shorter end of any estimate. She was also sans brassiere, which is another trademark of hers. Still, she's very attractive, and put together rather nicely. After the show, I got the chance to get her autograph. I asked if I could take a picture with her and she refused.

Me: Hi Alice great show. Could I get a picture with you?
Alice: I'll do anything for you... except that.
Me: Watch out now, you don't wanna say something like that, Alice. You don't know me like that. Might get you into some trouble...
Alice: *Makes a screw face of disgust* Eww! Gross!
Me: Uh.. yeah.. just kidding. Could I get your autograph tho?
Alice: Yeah, sure. What's your name?
Me: Jonathan
Alice: *signs autograph*
Me: And you spelled my name right too!? What don't you do, Alice?
Alice: *disinterested laughter* Thanks for coming to the show.
Me: Thanks. Bye.

I later went back to my table, which was two tables away from where she was signing autographs, turned my camera on, turned the flash off, sat it on the tabletop and took a picture when she wasn't looking, the results of which are below.


I don't know what her deal is with pics, she was pic blocking folks the whole night, but besides that, it was all real "jazzy" as the homie dave ken would say. In the end, I got an autograph and a pic so I won't complain. Great show. Great night.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that its always cool when you met people that should think highly of themselves, but they just thik of them selves as normal people. Thats what it was like when i sat down with Questlove...who gave me a 90 minute interview for b-side last year.

But this thing i think i like most about this picture is notice the 7th grade ponytail, with the slight grease fire in the kitchen. i love when it's just about the music, and with her it seems to be.