Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Got Caught Sleepin

So today I was chilling in my rather warm apartment. The heat at some point was starting to get to me so I decided to take an afternoon nap. I can do that, it's not like I have to teach or any (immediately impending) work to do. So I caught some Z's.

I woke up about 6:30ish and mulled around for a lil bit before I picked up my board and began surfing the web. To my utter surprise, I discovered this:



The Nike Mita Trainer Dunks. I know, you've never seen them before so go ahead, google them. Don't know how successful u'll be. No, you won't find these at the mall nor at ur 3rd rate sneaker spot. It's another reason why I love Philly and why I'm also dead broke, but that's neither here nor there.

They released here today at one of Philly's sneaker boutiques, at like 5 IN THE FRIGGIN AFTERNOON. In other words, mid-nap. Now, I definitely feel some type of way about all this. 1) Philly stores get most shipments on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that is almost always when new gear drops here. 2) Most shipments come between 1 and 3PM (don't ask me how or why I know this) so if it's past this time and a store hasn't updated their stocklist, then ur pretty safe to assume they're not getting them that day. 3) When I last spoke to someone at the store, they told me they were getting them in on Thursday, so I kinda rested easy on this release, assuming that I could get them easily on Thursday after class.

Now, to the store's credit, these were a very limited quickstrike release, which meant that the store really had no idea when they were gonna get the shoes, and it would not be unheard of for these to be delivered at an unorthodox time.

The problem:
  1. The fact that they released this late in the day means that most of the city's sneakerfiends are in the same position as me. They're finding out after the shop's closed already. (They close at 7.)
  2. Capitalism and commerce 101: Supply vs. Demand. You may not know much about the niche sneakerhead market, but i'm really normal compared to most ppl with this fetish. Scenes like this are not unheard of for limited sneaker releases. Now really, I am far too old and far too cool to stand in a line of high schoolers spending their allowances on some kicks. But I'm not exactly above the practice (lol). So basically, I expect for there to be a line of patrons at the shop's doors when they open at noon tommorow.
  3. When do I have class tomorrow? 9am to 12noon. That's right, I get outta class when the store opens, i.e. when there are already 20 ppl salivating outside the store like fiends itching for a fix. And remember, this is a limited release. They may only have one or two pairs of each size. Where will I be? 40 blocks away in West Philly atoning for my sins last semester. AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
Now, if I don't get the shoes, it won't really hurt my soul too badly. Just keeps money in my pocket. But this year's sneaker game has been akin to the Hip Hop game: not too many really good releases. Moreover, (yeah. "moreover".) I haven't been a fan of most the releases that have been hyped. (Example: See Nike Dunk SB MF Doom) So when there is a shoe that I like, and I know that it's out of the reaches of the proletariat, kinda makes the blood rush. pause.

Gives new meaning to "I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death," huh? Wish me luck tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um...shouldnt you be droppin dough on the kicks i did for you? I mean, a nigga aint got no job since school and needs all the help he can get...

this is anonymous...BUT I KNOW YOU KNOW WHO IT IS!

Call Me... "Mr. Garr" said...

last time i checked, u don't take visa OR american express.

Anonymous said...

yoo, its like your indolence meets your opulence. crazy, almost beautiful, like snow before you step in it.hahaha