Friday, August 24, 2007

2nd Best Rap Video of the Year



Trick Daddy is without question one of the most underrated rappers of all time. Name a track he's been on that he HASN'T murdered. I think T-Pain and Trick Daddy could really be the Best of Both Worlds. And no matter how much I abhor DJ Khaled's incessant use of the word "nugga" (not a typo), and his complete disregard for grammatical structure ("We the best! Who? We!" :-/), I cannot deny that this track goes hard. Not to mention that this video is outstanding. It does what a music video's sposed to do, make you like a song even more than you did at first. Three cheers for DJ Khaled, the only Arab I know of who has carte blanche to say "nigga" whenever he pleases. Word to Michael Richards.

P.S. Khaled's call and response monologue "We the best! Who? We!" is prolly not grammatically incorrect. The answer to "Who?" is really "We are." Thus, shortening the phrase correctly, one should actually say "We" as Khaled says and not "Us" as 99.9% of Americans would because you cannot say "Us are." It is the same principle that applies to the use of pronouns in subjects and predicate clauses. One says "Jane and I are talking" not "Me and Jane are talking" for the same reason because if one removed "Jane" it would become "I am talking" not "Me am talking." One says "Mom gave that to me and Jane" and not "Mom gave that to Jane and I" because removal of "Jane" would leave "Mom gave that to me" which of course is correct, not "Mom gave that to I." I guess he learned something in those English as a Second Language classes.

See, you learned something today. Still doesn't take away from the fact that Khaled sounds stupid when he says it. But hey, he's so hood, he prolly doesn't even care. And with a video/song combo this vicious, I wouldn't either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pause. Most of the time we are on the same page as to what is hot and what isnt (except for the 'Ye that has never sold a gram of his shortened namesake...for those of you who dont know, I'm not really a fan) but I will have to disagree about this song. Yes, all of your Trick Daddy facts are correct. The beat is hot. But after the first chorus-verse-chorus transition I lost interest. FIRST, DJ khaled is the most annoying Mixtape DJ I have ever come across. SO much so that I wish DJ Smack-your-favorite-dj would change his name to DJ Smack-your-most-hated-DJ (cuz I would be the first one putting in a request). So his involvment alone is enough to make me wanna barf (but only a little bit in my own mouth). Secondly, Rick Ross...pause. Nuff said. Thirdly, Plies...unless he's rapping about fucking (cuz its all he seems to sound like he's good at), PAUSE...actually STOP. And I may be the only one, but I have NEVER been a fan of the 2 for one video, unless you can make some kinda clever tie in between the 2 songs via the music video experience (failure in this case). I think this video (even though it lacked a great complete song [refer to my earlier verse-chorus-verse critique]) had a lot of missed potential (good setting, great camera direction, overal effective mood).

This is anonymous...but you know who it is.

Call Me... "Mr. Garr" said...

DJ Khaled = most annoying DJ (rivaling DJ Clue for all-time)
.::CHECK::.
Song and video fall off after Trick exits
.::CHECK::.
2 for 1 videos suck
.::CHECK::.

i pretty much agree. however, it stays pretty true to the overall theme of being "hood." it also has more cameos than a muppets reunion (i'm quoting the fader mag). they even got Jon Roberts from the "Cocaine Cowboys" to cameo. that's hood. and for clarity's sake, i was only talking about the video for "So Hood." I ignore anything with Dre singing the hook (and flossing his "Brown Paper Bag" Chain... *yawn*). ("I'm From the Ghetto" is a guilty pleasure tho.) But that's why it's 2nd best RAP video. Haven't seen another one that made me wanna watch it outside of the UGK/'kast joint.

lastly, u use "pause" too much. pause is synonymous with "no homo" and as such, should be used when making a statement that could be taken sexually, especially homosexually, and not for general dramatic effect.

That is all. good day.