Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Supply and Demand

So a lotta nothing's been happening of recent. I've informally been removed from the grad program at UPenn and placed into the Teacher's Certificate program. It's okay, don't shed any tears over it cuz I won't. I'm dissappointed in myself, but really it's for the better, and it'll save me quite a bit of dinero next year. Plus, I have an automatic hook-up (and a possible discount) should I decide to finish the Master's program at UPenn in the future. What it amounts to (pun intended) is about $10,000 less and class one weekend a month next year. (No Thursday classes!) I'm happy to say there are no hard feelings between me and the director of my grad program, the mother of DJ Drama.

On Friday, I had the privilege of meeting Dr. James Spady at the UPenn bookstore. If u don't know who he is, google him. I'm not wasting time to explain. Anyway, he teaches at UPenn and was speaking about a book he and two other ppl just published on Hip Hop. I went to meet him and one of the other authors, H. Samy Alim, but Alim was stuck in Cali and couldn't make it to UPenn. Oh well, I still got an autographed book. (Yes, I'm a nerd. Stop hating.)

Now, Spring is officially here, and with summer around the corner, all the retailers are breaking out the goods for the sunshine. Luckily, instead of going broke, I might make a few bones. Why you ask?


Because of these limited Nike Air Force One's. I know. You're looking at them and ur like "OK, enough about shoes already. It's just leather and rubber, Jonathan. And these aren't even that special looking." Yes, I'll admit, these really aren't that special. (They have some nice details tho). The real story behind the shoes is this: they are limited to Nike's top-of-the-line "Tier 0" retail accounts. Translation: you can't get em at the mall, only at cool-guy shops. Tier 0 accounts are located only in NYC, Cali, and--as of a few weeks ago--Philadelphia. The one and only store in Philly with a Tier Zero account is supposed to get them in sometime this week and when they do, Mr. Garr will buy at least four pair.
Why? Because I can expect to get at least 150% return on my investment by selling them to ppl all over the country who are making messes in their pants every time they see them. I used to be one of those ppl, sitting in his dorm room in the god-forsaken midwest, looking at shoes only available on the coasts and stabbing my hands with spoons because I knew I'd have to sell a woman's ovaries to get the cash to buy them from a reseller. My oh my, how the tables have turned. Except the game isn't easy as it was 3 years ago. Reselling sneakers is much harder to do profitably (I'll save u the explanations why) and profits from reselling have gone down substantially. Still, there's money to be made when the right shoe drops at the right time, and at the right places (and by "right places" I mean as few places as possible). It's pure economics. You don't need a degree from Olin or Wharton for that one.
Call Me..."Ur Pusha"

No comments: