Monday, November 02, 2009

Fantastic Planet


To celebrate Music Monday, I figured I'd continue my present audiophile series and blow the dust off another obscure cult-classic. Back in the day when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore but sometimes I sit and wish I was a kid again a "soundtrack" wasn't just some haphazard compilation of songs from a label's artist-roster. Soundtracks were albums that actually featured original music from a movie.

This soundtrack was produced entirely by the composer Alain Goraguer for the French film La Planete Sauvage. It's a perfect meld of 70's funk, hippy psychedelia, and French je ne sais quoi. The movie is a classic in its own right--even more so than the soundtrack--so if you've never seen it, find it. It's 1970's intellectual sci-fi. In other words, drugs were involved. (Don't believe me check out the trailer.) This notwithstanding--"accordingly" mighta made for better word choice than "notwithstanding"--, the soundtrack has inspired countless hip-hop producers. Quasimoto's Madlib-produced "Come On Feet" is probably one of the most notable--and drug-induced--examples. Check that one out after the trailer. Then head back up and click that album cover to download. Disfruta.



No comments: