Saturday, June 14, 2008

Illiterate need not apply


I just came back from seeing this movie after a friend recommended it. I was definitely pleased. I like movies that play like good novels: entertaining, but also thought provoking; I want some kind of catharsis at the end. (BTW, that goes for all movies, comedies included--that's why I never liked Tyler Perry movies, just too dumb for me. It's also why I've always liked Dave Chappelle, scatological humor mixed with insightful social commentary--what more could you ask for?)

Anyway, the movie is Norwegian (yeah, I know) and I doubt it's playing everywhere, but if you live in or near a big city, I'm sure you could find it at one of those small, bougie, left-of-center movie houses that play independent films and have playbills, where customers buy popcorn and organic granola bars and locally packaged tea instead of hot dogs, nachos, and snickerdoodles. If you're in Philly, it's at the Ritz Five. I don't like when people give too much of a movie away, so that's all you'll get from me.

Adjø.

No comments: